OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:34:32 -0500
I stopped briefly to check out the lower reaches of Hoover Reservoir this afternoon, and was stunned by how low the water level has become.  The shoreline from Maxtown boat launch north & south is far below normal, so much so that people were hiking out along the huge exposed gravel bars in the nice weather. I stopped at Maxtown launch, the County Line Bridge, and the dam.  Birding was generally dull, with scattered Ring-billed Gulls, Canada Geese, and little else in the way of waterbirds.

Best finds of the afternoon were Bald Eagles: 2 adults were soaring along the shore east of Maxtown launch, and another was perched in a tall tree below the dam.  Since few adults have been around there so far this Fall, I'll have to assume that these are returning wintering birds.  They're returning on schedule, but they must be wondering why the weather is so ridiculously mild!  This can't be helping them find fish kills, or waterfowl to harass.