OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:09:26 -0500
Yesterday, Saturday November 13th, we began our birding tour at Lakeside Cemetery and also Columbia Park in western Cuyahoga County. Horned Grebes by the hundreds or more, were everywhere offshore. A raft of possibly over a thousand Red-breasted Mergansers were in a feeding frenzy eating what appeared to be Gizzard Shad. 3 female Surf Scoters were close to shore, along with a male and 2 female Hooded Mergansers. Next stop was Bradstreet's Landing about 10AM. Three notable northeast Ohio birders were already there with their scopes sighted on a possible Pacific Loon and also a Red-throated Loon, well offshore with numerous Common Loons. Two more female Surf Scoters along with a male Greater Scaup were close by. The weather was beautiful and the lake was calm. On our departure from Bradstreet's Landing the two celebrity Loons were out too far to see. We arrived at Sims Park sometime after noon. 8 Black Scoters, 7 females and 1 gorgeous male, were just off the end of the pier. One male and 2 female Common Goldeneyes, along with two more female Surf Scoters were just to the east. Offshore Horned Grebes were also numerous here. Around 2PM we arrived at Headlands in Lake County. On our way out to the lighthouse, on the breakwall, we crossed paths with Amish elite birding friends of ours, from the Bobolink Area. They were kind enough to show us that a Purple Sandpiper was on the breakwall across the channel from the lighthouse. Comparing the days sightings, they informed us that earlier they had two Evening Grosbeaks at a church camp west of Conneaut. Lucky them! While at the lighthouse a Golden-crowned Kinglet kept us company. On the return along The Fisherman's Trail we recorded a latish Vesper Sparrow in the dunes, we also saw it last Sunday. Another highlight was an American Woodcock actually giving the "peent" call; the Woodcock was located in the grassy area between the trail and the narrow tree line following the breakwall near the beach. What a nice bird to finish off eight hours of birding and a pleasant weather day! We decided to continue the Lake Erie tour today, Sunday November 14th, with a visit to Ashtabula County and the Conneaut Area. On our drive up SR11 this morning we got off to a good start with a flock of 43 Wild Turkeys. Arriving at "The Sandspit" about 9AM all that was there was the usual gull species and a lone Cooper's Hawk; no waterfowl to be seen! Something new to "The Sandspit" was a dead Red Fox, cause of death unknown. The platform lagoon area was a bit more productive with 4 Gadwall, 2 Ruddy Ducks, 1 American Coot, and 22 Dunlin. Unbelievably, the female Yellow Warbler is still present. At 10AM, she was about fifty feet west of the platform and became visible along the shore with a little bit of pishing! For a typical Yellow Warbler she is over a month late! By 11AM we were at Sunset Park near the intersection of SR193 and SR531, this is our favorite Lake Erie scoping area, being located on top of a high bluff, with a 180 degree view. Unfortunately, by the time of our arrival, the weather had turned windy and brutal. Time to give it up. Returning home to Mahoning County about 2PM we completed our journey with a first of the season Fox Sparrow in the backyard. A good weekend of birding adventures! Of note: the newly released publication "Ohio's Lake Erie Public Access Guidebook" is a must to find all the hidden spots along the lake. It guided us to the new locations to visit of Lakeside Cemetery and Columbia Park.
Bob and Denise Lane / Damascus