OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:19:56 -0800
I was at Sims Park in Euclid today from around 12:00 noon to 2:30pm.  I started on the pier and ended up at the west end on the overlook.  Inga Schmidt came after awhile until we left.  While I wasn't able to find anything too unusual and missed some ducks the quantity of Red-breasted Mergansers was interesting.  When I arrived the Red-breasted Mergansers were just east of the pier and they were actively feeding with many Herring & Ring-billed Gulls and they were slowly moving west.  After awhile they would move back to the beginning and start all over or they would settle down.  The entire time I was there they were out in front of the park putting on a big display.  There had to be over 1500-2000 of them.  The same Black Scoters (8)(1m,7f) and Surf Scoters (2 females) were there, few Common Goldeneye, a female Scaup, few Horned Grebes, Golden-crowned Kinglets (2).

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/