OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:38:13 -0500
Went to Big Island again yesterday  and was a great time again . Met some other birders and nature photographers and had  a lot of fun watching the birds of prey. In the afternoon it was Northenr Harriers and Rough Legged Hawks hunting  in the area  by the viewing platform. and then the curtain went up on the evening show.  Started slow but soon Short Ears were  workin'  the areas on Espyville Road. wished they would  have came up about a half hour earlier but still a great show.  I ended with seeing 11 of them. Had some real close looks as they perched in the small trees by the road and also on the bird houses and posts.  Also some landed in the ditch right at the roads edge. I could spend every day over there. The Rough Legged hawks i seen were the light  morph, absolutely beautiful.    Russell Lima, Ohio