OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
WILLIAM HUGHES <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WILLIAM HUGHES <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 03:38:44 +0000
Birding the greater Hoover Reservoir area (Franklin and Delaware counties) with Charlie Bombaci and Scott Bird today for our part of the CBC circle was fairly productive, highlights included:

Oxbow:
N. Shoveler (6)
Ruddy Duck (2)
American Black Duck (50)
Hooded Merganser (22)
A disappointing Graylag goose that had us thinking Greater White-fronted for a while, but to no avail.

Area N (Galena):
Red-headed Woodpecker (1)
E. Bluebird (1)
RT Hawk (1)

Driving the cornfields East of the reservoir (maybe best birds of the day):
Horned Lark (55)
Snow Bunting (1)
Lapland Longspur (1)
Song Sparrow (8)
Am. Tree Sparrow (2)
White-crowned Sparrow (7...immature)
N. Mockingbird (1)

Area S (off old Walnut):
Brown Creeper (1)
Barred Owl (1)

Telephone wires turned up three Am. Kestrels throughout the day, and returning to the dam (which was not our area for the day) at the end of the count turned up 6 Lesser Scaup, 2 Green-winged Teal, and an Immature Bald Eagle that were not present when we assembled in the morning.

I left out all of the usual suspects including kinglets (only Golden-crowned) and waxwings, but if you would like our complete list email me privately and I'd be glad to send it.

Good Birding,
Alex Hughes
OSU Ornithology Club