OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2010 16:37:28 -0500
Hello Ohio-birders:

On Saturday, during the Cleveland Christmas Bird Count, our field party
found a Northern Shrike in Hunting Valley.  The location is technically
private property, owned by Case Western Reserve University, but you are
allowed on site as long as you follow all of the posted regulations
(especially keeping dogs on leashes, please!).  My apologies for waiting
until now to post the sighting, but I wanted to clear access with the
farm manager.

The bird was found at Squire Valleevue Farm, which is 37125 Fairmount
Blvd, Hunting Valley.

This property is on the north side of Fairmount, between SOM Center Road
(91) and Chagrin River Road.   When you enter, take the right fork, then
stay to the left and pull into the large parking lot.  From there, walk
north along the row of pines and then out into the fields.  The bird was
seen hunting along the hedgerow here (lots of American Robins and
European Starlings feeding in the hedgerow). This site has lots of open
fields and I can imagine that the bird could be hunting throughout the
entire farm property.

You can find a map here:

http://studentaffairs.case.edu/farm/

...and my "digibinned" photo here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ornitholoco/5277918605/

Good birding!

Andy
--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.
William A. and Nancy R. Klamm Endowed Chair of Ornithology