OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:05:45 -0500
Sandy Tkach and I conducted the 14th December monthly census of the island
for the Kelleys Island Audubon Club.  Data is also used in the Lake Erie
Islands Christmas Bird Count.  Weather started with partly cloudy skies, SW
winds 5-12 mph, and 17 degrees.  There were snow flurries off and on during
the day and overcast most of the PM.  Temperature did get to 24.  The lake
was mostly frozen to the south and west but mostly open to the north and
east.  We added 6 species to the December census list; Mute Swan,
Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, American Kestrel, Bohemian Waxwing, and Field
Sparrow.  The 14 year average for species on this census is 51 and we had a
record 66.  We ended the day with 72 species observed on the island.  The 14
year average for total individuals on this census was 22,882 and we record a
record 62,919.  With 45,000+ gulls observed, you would think we could find a
white-winged gull or two.  But lighting conditions were too poor and even my
imagination couldn't pull one out.  Off course the Bohemian Waxwing was the
bird of the day.  I was able get photos the next day and one is posted on
rarebird.org.  Check the webpage:

http://www.rarebird.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5298&title=bohemain-waxwing-kellys-island

December Census Data:

132     Canada Goose
3         Mute Swan
4         Trumpeter Swan
76       Tundra Swan
1387   Gadwall
4         American Wigeon
447     American Black Duck
1315   Mallard
3         American Black Duck X Mallard Hybrid
4         Green-winged Teal
19       Canvasback
258     Redhead
*         Ring-necked Duck