OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 15:50:01 -0500
Hi birders,

I hate to pose this question since I know this bird has been so thoroughly
enjoyed by so many birders. However, I've been getting a fair number of
inquiries if the bird is "wild" and therefore acceptable on their life lists
(as replies to the RBA). Anyway, I'm unsure how to answer anyone since I
don't have any authority on the matter. My response is usually something
along the lines of "here's what some think, here's what others think, here's
what I think, but I certainly don't have any authority on the issue." Also I
mentioned that they should wait to see what the records committee says.

To me, the bird is rather suspect, not just because it's a waterfowl, but
because of the company it keeps and its approachability. To quote a user
from rarebird.org: "The duck is still present on the Buckeye Quarry. He's
been entertaining, whistling and flying around the quarry, coming up close
to people, being fed by children and photographers." (lbhush)
Also, "It seems very tame, with some tame mallards, and you can get quite
close." (lbhush)

The topic was discussed on the rarebird.org forum thanks to Greg Links, who
cautioned about the bird, but it didn't get very far. It's an important
topic, however, since there are only a few records for Ohio. Just curious to
see what the sentiment of the rest of the community is.

Good birding,

Sean

---
Sean Williams, '11
Undergraduate of Ornithology of Dr. Jed Burtt
Ohio Wesleyan University
HWCC 724
Delaware, OH 43015
617-470-4094