OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2010 16:52:28 -0800
Hello All,
     About three weeks ago, Jen Brumfield reported a Northern Shrike that was
found at the Bath Nature Preserve by Sandy Brown. Since then, there haven't been
any follow-up reports to Ohio Birds on this bird, but earlier today we took a
chance that it (or another Shrike) might still be there, and were not
disappointed. To get to this Preserve from I-271 (this runs NE from I-71 to
Cleveland), take Exit 9 and drive S on Brecksville Rd which soon becomes the
Cleveland-Massilon Road. Within a couple of miles you will intersect Ira Road.
Turn right (West) and continue about a mile to the Preserve entrance on your
left. From the parking area, walk the main roadway past a white house on your
left. Take the next road to your left and you will soon be in the area where
the bird was seen today. This road eventually curves around and comes back
toward the parking area. We saw the bird at least five different times (scan the
tops of all trees) while birding this rather expansive area. On one occasion, it
flew right toward us and landed in a small tree not more than sixty feet away
for great looks! Most looks were long-distance, however, and a scope is very
helpful. Best of luck if you try for this bird, and Happy Holidays to all!

More later,
Dan
 Dan Sanders
42 Scioto St
Powell, OH 43065
614-596-5666

"When a man destroys a piece of art we call him a vandal; when he destroys
a work of nature we call him a developer." Anonymous