OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:58:57 -0500
For whatever it's worth, I have a small feeding station in front of my
apartment offering premium blend from WBU, nyjer seed, and suet.  I usually
only see about a dozen species there in a day but some of them in large
numbers.  Unfortunately, one species that visits in large numbers is the
house sparrow.
I put the suet out because one day I saw a downy woodpecker fly in, look
around, and fly away again when he didn't find anything to eat.
Unfortunately, he hasn't been back since I put the suet out.  The only birds
I've ever seen use it are the Carolina chickadees and the Carolina wren.

1. The dark-eyed juncos, mourning doves, and song sparrows are always the
first to arrive.  They show up at the crack of dawn. As many as 28 mourning
doves have shown up.

2. The goldfinches and house finches start filtering in just before sunrise.
Within minutes, there are 90-100 goldfinches and about a dozen house
finches.  They usually start tapering off around 3:30 with only a few
stragglers left by 4:00.

3. Starting at sunrise, the Carolina chickadees fly in to grab seeds and fly
off again.  They're at it all day.

4. The house sparrows usually don't show up until about half an hour after
sunrise.

5. An adult female Cooper's hawk includes my feeder tree in her rounds
showing up at about an hour after sunrise and again in the middle of the
afternoon.  I'm very appreciative of the fact that she has never taken a
finch.

6. The Carolina wren shows up in mid-morning.  It comes and goes throughout
the day until about 3:30.

7. The blue jays don't show up every day but when they do, it is in
mid-morning through early afternoon.

8. The mallards that feed under the feeder usually show up about once an
hour beginning around 1:00 PM but not every day.  I've seen as many as 12
mallards equally paired.

9. Tree sparrows, white-throated sparrows, and white-crowned sparrows are
only occasional visitors but come in the afternoon if they come at all.

10. The female cardinal usually comes alone in the afternoon.  The male
cardinal will occasionally come with her but they usually only show up
together during evening twilight.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH