OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:24:30 -0500
Season's Greetings and Sorry for the slightly belated report:

The first year Harris's Sparrow reported by Bruce Glick to the listserve was still there and cooperative enough to be seen yesterday. The young bird seemed quite happy and active, hanging out with his White-crowned Sparrow (both adult and juv.) cohorts who were singing on and off; wonderful to hear. The family there are very kind and welcome you into their home without a thought, but I opted to stand at the front east corner of the house to digiscope the bird. Here is one of my favorites: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31470374&l=51d6054822&id=164901416
Here is Bruce's directions in case you missed it:
"Theaddress is 9041 Bear Hollow Road, Apple Creek. This is a short,
one-mileroad. See DeLorme P 44 (2007 version).Take U.S. Rt. 250 southeast from Woosterto Apple Creek and on to Fountain Nook Road. Turn right (south) and Bear Hollowis the first road on the right. 9041 is located close to a large communicationtower and the house is on the south side of the road. Birders are welcome butplease remember they are Amish - photos of the birds are fine but not thepeople...The feeders are on the east side of the house and if you go to thefront door, you probably can watch from inside. This is the Robert Troyerfamily and the young birder who found the bird is Andy."
Also, I wanted to report that the Short-eared Owls are still present at Batelle-Darby Metro Park. I was there the day before yesterday and five of them came out in the medium sized prairie field at the eastern corner of Kuhlwein and Darby Creek Dr. They didn't emerge until 5:15, but they can come out anytime between four and five, sometimes earlier. The best way to view them is to park at the small new parking lot at the corner of Kuhlwein and Darby Creek Dr and then walk north along the trail until the path curves out into the middle of the field. Wear warm wind-proof clothes for this vantage point, but its worth the cold wait; the owls fly all around you here and its a high point so you can see all around. Also present earlier were 4 Northern Harriers, 1 Cooper's Hawk, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 American Kestrels, and a number of American Tree Sparrows. Good show as always.
Best of Birding to all,
- Ben Warner