OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:01:48 -0500
The 64th annual Cincinnati Christmas Bird Count was conducted this past Sunday, December 26th. Considering that this was the day after Christmas and the weather was cold overcast and windy, we had a pretty good turnout of 103 participants. Our total of 87 species was a few short of our recent average and can be attributed to a below average number of waterfowl species (12), due of course to the fact that our only open water was the rivers and a bit of the Camp Dennison gravel pits. Below are the "unofficial" results of the count. A few feeder bird numbers have not yet been received but no new species are expected.

Count highlights included Double-crested Cormorant, Short-eared Owl, Merlin, Northern Bobwhite, Eastern Phoebe, Lapland Longspur, Brewer's Blackbird and Pine Siskin

The List (*indicates count record):

Canada Goose 3688, Gadwall 38, American Wigeon 9, American Black Duck 57, Mallard *1505, Canvasback 23, Redhead 21, Ring-necked Duck 44, Greater Scaup 6, Bufflehead 34, Hooded Merganser 149, Ruddy Duck 39, Wild Turkey 26, Northern Bobwhite 3, Pied-billed Grebe 3, Double-crested Cormorant 1, Great Blue Heron 28, Bald Eagle 3, Black Vulture 76, Turkey Vulture 48, Northern Harrier 6, Sharp-shinned Hawk 11, Cooper's Hawk 16, (unidentified accipiter 5), Red-shouldered Hawk 13, Red-tailed Hawk 65, American Kestrel 8, Merlin 1, Peregrine Falcon 1, American Coot 191, Killdeer 1, Ring-billed Gull 109, Rock Pigeon 531, Mourning Dove 662, Eastern Screech-Owl 4, Great Horned Owl 11, Barred Owl 2, Short-eared Owl 3, Belted Kingfisher 33, Red-bellied Woodpecker 394, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 38, Downy Woodpecker 335, Hairy Woodpecker 47, Northern Flicker 92, Pileated Woodpecker 34, Eastern Phoebe 2, Blue Jay 457, American Crow 1202, Horned Lark 6, Carolina Chickadee 1287, Tufted Titmouse 569, Red-breasted Nuthatch 4, White-breasted Nuthatch 254, Brown Creeper 46, Carolina Wren 183, Winter Wren 3, Golden-crowned Kinglet 96, Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1, Eastern Bluebird 87, Hermit Thrush 11, American Robin 14144, Northern Mockingbird 72, European Starling 49157, Cedar Waxwing 667, Yellow-rumped Warbler 147, Eastern Towhee 105, American Tree Sparrow 637, Field Sparrow 35, Savannah Sparrow 7, Fox Sparrow 2, Song Sparrow 630, Swamp Sparrow 52, White-throated Sparrow 705, White-crowned Sparrow 55, Dark-eyed Junco 548, Lapland Longspur 2, Northern Cardinal 1234, Red-winged Blackbird 115, Eastern Meadowlark 2, Rusty Blackbird 111, Brewer's Blackbird 1, Common Grackle 682, Brown-headed Cowbird 41, Purple Finch 18, House Finch 223, Pine Siskin 31, American Goldfinch 505, House Sparrow 580.

Count Week Species (5):

Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Brown Thrasher, American Pipit.

Many thanks to all who participated.