OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:17:41 -0800
I did stop at Sims Park on Lakeshore Blvd in Euclid this morning from 10:50 to 12:00 noon.  Not many Red-breasted Mergansers mostly saw many groups flying by.  I planted myself at the west end of the park which turned out to help this time to see the Tundra Swans as I later could not see them from the pier.  Here is what I could find:

Swans approx 30-33 very distant probable Tundra Swans northwest of west end of park in the water
Black Scoters 7 females
Bufflehead ~ 10-11
Common Goldeneye ~ 8
Ruddy Ducks 6
Common Loon 1
Horned Grebe  at least 45-50 (probably many many more I missed)
Bonaparte's Gulls - did not count- more numerous now

my only pictures of the Swans look like mashed potatoes as the sun was gone by the time I got to the park and they were very far away.  There was also a group of about 30 dark ducks that flew in near the swans but I could not ID - looked possibly like Black Ducks - not sure.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/