OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:36:08 -0500
Today I was scouting a little in the morning and early evening for the Jan 2
OHOS CBC count week species.  I had a couple nice raptor highlights and
starting at the Twin Lakes area in Shawnee Hills (northwest of the Columbus
Zoo) and ended at Glacier Ridge Metro Park north west of Dublin Ohio.

This morning east of Twin Lakes in Powell Ohio across from the zoo there was
a mature Bald Eagle in the pines.  An hour later I was checking out the
wonderful new area recently opened across from the Columbus Zoo and just
below the O'Shaughnessy Dam (next to the Bogey Inn).   Kudos to the Shawnee
Hills and City of Columbus Parks for creating a welcoming area for
fishermen, nature lovers and birders alike.  From south to north over the
dam glided an immature Bald Eagle.  Only Mallards present below the dam.

The last hour of the day I visited Glacier Ridge Metro Park.  A male Harrier
was hunting in the north east area near the north entrance.  A kestrel was
near the front entrance on wires.  A Cooper Hawk flew across the Honda
Wetlands and another kestrel was sitting in the big dead tree then back to
the northern entrance to try for Short-eared Owls.  The ranger was very
accommodating and told me I could stay till 5:50 so finally at 5:45 I headed
entrance and pulled into the horse area between the red barn ranger station
and the disc golf field.  As I rolled into the gravel parking lot sitting on
a park sign was a Short-eared Owl.  He sat for what seemed like 5 minutes
watching and listening and finally flew over the car.  A great end to a
welcome warm winter day of scouting.

I could still use a few more walkers at Glacier Ridge Metro Park on Sunday
Jan 2.  If you can help please meet Chrissy Pheifer, naturalist at the north
entrance ranger station at 8am.  Remember your $5.00 payment for National
Audubon.  Also, I am meeting all the other teams at 7am at the Wendy's at
Glick and Dublin Rd if you want to join one of the other teams to help the
OHOS CBC.  Thank you,

Darlene Sillick

Powell, Ohio