OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Noah Comet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 2010 22:53:57 -0500
My thanks to all of you who responded with tips about Killdeer Plains and
Short Eared Owls!

My first visit to this absolutely *amazing* place did not disappoint!  I'll
be going back there---soon.  Despite the fact that there were many
people *killing
deer* at Killdeer today, which made for rather skittish wildlife (and
punctuated my otherwise serene wilderness experience with gunfire), I
managed to see some amazing birds, especially raptors, and secured three
lifers, Tundra Swan, Northern Harrier, and yes(!), Short Eared Owl.  All
that was missing (from my mental list of hoped-for birds) was Rough Legged
Hawk.

The Harriers were the dominant presence today, all over the wildlife
area---I sighted eleven, only one of which was a mature male.  (I wasn't
able to distinguish the females from the juveniles.)  I expected to be
impressed by their hover-hunting, but I was astounded to see how controlled
their flight was---that they "hit the brakes," as it were, so quickly,
transitioning from rapid forward flight to a dead standstill hover in a
split-second.  A couple of Kestrels (so much larger than their diminutive
size, aren't they?) did a bit hover-hunting, too.

There was nothing doing (to my inexperienced eyes anyway) in the Owl Pines;
perhaps it's still a bit early in the season for that area?

On a field off of 294 just east of Harpster, I spotted three Bald Eagles,
two juveniles and one adult.  I've seen many Baldies, but always either in
flight or in trees, and always near a body of water; seeing them on the
ground in the middle of a barren field like this struck me as unusual.

I arrived in the park before dawn and found no Short Eared Owls (neither at
the Sportsman's Center nor on Washburn Rd, where they'd recently been
sighted); for that treat, I had to wait until dusk, as several listmembers
suggested.  I staked out the Sportsman's Center from about 4:15 to 4:40, but
finally decided to drive around the park---there were several hunters still
active near the Center, and I feared that would mean that this location
(despite its reputation for SEOs) was a wash; I ended up seeing two owls
coursing the fields on the north side of 71 just east of 108 at about 4:45.
They fluttered about quite close to the road allowing for some very good
looks.  At one point a Harrier engaged one of the owls in aerial combat and
then fled the scene.  One of my most memorable birding experiences, to be
sure!

Overcast skies and moderate snow made for less than ideal photography
conditions (even in mid-afternoon light, to say nothing of dusk), but I did
manage to document the most exciting birds of the day---I've posted some
pics here:

http://ncomet.mezoka.com/index.html

(Forgive the grain in the some of the images; I really had to boost the ISO
in order to keep an acceptable shutter speed.)

Best,
Noah