OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 2010 19:27:51 -0500
The Columbus Audubon trip to Scioto MetroPark and the nearby Greenlawn cemetery this morning was greeted by frigid weather, but, for the hardy souls who braved it, lots of birds.  There was hardly a moment when we were out of sight of flocks of gulls, starlings, or Robins.  It was also a good day for waterfowl and raptors.  Highlights included:

Herons - 3-4 Great Blues were still around the Scioto here.  We couldn't find Black-crowned Hight Herons here, but I made a later trip up to the old colony along the Olentangy at OSU and counted 6.

Dabbling Ducks - plenty of Mallards and Black Ducks, but we also had 1 Gadwall and a fly-by N.Shoveler.  Another Gadwall was up at Long Street dam.

Diving waterfowl - lots of Hooded Mergansers at several locations on the river.  Ring-necks and Scaup weren't around Whittier/Scioto, but were reported from Watermark Lake just northwest of downtown.

Other waterfowl - 3 Pied-billed Grebes were lurking along the river at Whittier/Scioto.  There were also 6 cormorants perched on a log across from the boat launch.

Gulls - a huge flock of 500 gulls off the boat launch was almost entirely Ring-bills; we only found 1-2 juvenile Herring Gulls with them.

Raptors - an adult Bald Eagle flew past the boat launch early, while 2-3 Red-tails were over in Greenlawn cemetery.  The cemetery also had a MERLIN perched on a snag in Area 57, and I had a Kestrel near the Vet School at OSU.  Cooper's Hawks were at several locations; 1 even buzzed the feeders at the Grange Audubon center.

Sapsuckers - at least 2 were roaming through the trees at Greenlawn cemetery.

Red-br.Nuthatch - 1 was in the trees along the ridge north of the Pit in the cemetery.  Unfortunately, the dearth of seeds & suet at the feeding station by the pit makes this bird a challenge to find.

Cedar Waxwings - small numbers were mixed in with the Robin hordes at both Whittier/Scioto and the cemetery.

Sparrows - loads of White-throated all along the bikepath at Whittier/Scioto, with fewer in the cemetery.  The cemetery had a large 60+ bird flock of juncos north of the Pit.

Pine Siskins - 4-5 were feeding in the Dawn redwood grove at the southwest corner of the large chapel north of the Pit.