OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2010 20:32:59 -0500
I stopped at Lorain Harbor briefly this morning.  Conditions were atrocious
with high winds, snow, and all the flying birds heading north making it
difficult to look for the black-headed gull.  I did not see it.  It does
appear a few new birds had moved in as I had two little gulls, an adult and
a first cycle bird.

Yesterday, I do believe I saw the heavily marked Bonaparte's gull Jen B.
mentioned seeing the other day.  The dark "W" on the wing does give the
impression of a little gull juvenile.  The key here is the larger bill and
the white crown on the Bonaparte's.  Little gull's have a dark rear crown.
With the Little gull, the outer 4 or so primaries are all dark.  The middle
sections of the outer 3 primaries of the Bonaparte's were black and the tips
were also black.  I tried to get a photo of it, but was just able to get
part of it.  Interesting bird.

 The adult Thayer's seen yesterday was along the river just west of the
sewage plant.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081