OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2010 01:23:15 -0500
Ray,

You're quite right, your bird is a Pine Warbler.  This is among the
hardiest of warblers, and it is probably the species most likely to
show up at feeders in winter.  Among the field marks for identifying
your bird would be the unmarked back, the wing-bars showing only a
moderate amount of contrast, the gray edges on the tertials, and the
face pattern with pale crescents above and below the eye and a
well-defined dark lower edge to the cheek patch.

Very few Pine Warblers are found in Ohio in the average winter.  If
you're located within one of the Christmas Bird Count circles, I'm
sure the compiler would be eager to know if the warbler sticks around
through the day of the count.  Regardless, though, congratulations on
hosting this hardy bird and on having documented it so well.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH