OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 14:17:44 -0500
Lyn and all,

Rusty Blackbird sightings can and should be entered into eBird year-round.
Our formerly common 'swamp blackbird' has declined 85% during the four
recent decades based on CBC results. Researchers need more information. Join
the eastern North America census effort this winter. The third annual Rusty
Blackbird Hotspot Blitz is scheduled January 30 through February 15, 2011.
During this period it's important to pursue Rusty Blackbirds anywhere you've
seen them in the past. Watch for small numbers of rusties among large
numbers of mixed blackbirds, too. Check potential hotspots, count the birds,
report them at eBird. We'll pass along more information soon. No need to
wait, Google "Rusty Blackbird Hotspot Blitz" and go to the National Zoo link
for authoritative information and great images.

Go now by following this link:
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/research/rusty_blackbird/blitz
.cfm

Tom Bain