OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2010 22:19:20 -0500
I was at Lorain in the late afternoon and saw the previous reported
black-headed gull and leucistic Bonaparte's.  Around 3:30-4:00 a lot of
gulls began moving into the harbor and I was able to find a first cycle
FRANKLIN'S GULL sitting in the water at the west end of the harbor (the old
hot-waters area).  I also had a first cycle LITTLE GULL make a single pass
in the Bonaparte's flock.

A POMARINE JAEGER made a quick pass into the harbor.  It came over the east
breakwall, stirred the gulls up a bit and then headed out.  Two different
peregrine falcons and a bald eagle also had some fun stirring up the gulls.
Finally a single PURPLE SANDPIPER was flushed when the hunters started
shooting.  It came off the west breakwall rocks, flew up the channel west of
where people have been watching the gulls, and then back out to the
breakwall. There were thousands of mergansers flying north of the
breakwalls.

I'll post some shots of the black-headed gull tomorrow.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081
(440) 259-2751