OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2010 17:38:52 -0800
This afternoon I visited Mosquito L/WA in Trumbull Co.  The ponds and nearly all of the reservoir are frozen over.  There were some open holes south of the causeway, but the bigger open-water area was at the south end and readily viewed from the State Park there.  More geese and ducks were found in fields along Mahan-Denman Rd.  The area is snow-covered, so along the edges of roads in the WA the plows had gotten down to the ground and created great feeding habitat for sparrows and others.  Raptors remain disappointing though.  Highlights at Mosquito: 750 Canada geese (couldn't find any other geese w/them), 12 gadwalls, 1 Am. wigeon, 645 mallards, 30 Am. black ducks, 1 n. pintail, 26 n. shovelers, 1 wood duck, 50 redheads, 1 ring-necked duck, 1 greater scaup, 3 lesser scaup, 23 buffleheads, 3 c. goldeneyes, 48 hooded mergansers, 16 ruddy ducks, 5 pied-billed grebes, Cooper's hawk, red-tailed hawk, Am. kestrel, ring-billed gulls, herring gulls,
 golden-crowned kinglet, e. bluebirds, 77 Am. tree sparrows, song sparrow, 4 white-throated sparrows, and 55 dark-eyed juncos.  Yesterday I hit some areas in eastern Mahoning Co.  On the Mahoning River in Lowellville were 14 hooded mergansers.  Evans L. was mostly unfrozen and had: 325 Canada geese, mallards, Am. black ducks, 55 n. shovelers, 7 buffleheads, 43 hooded mergansers, 15 common mergansers, 50 ruddy ducks, 4 horned grebes, bald eagle, red-shouldered hawk, 20 Am. coots, many ring-billed gulls, and herring gulls.  Nearby Pine L. was mostly frozen and had only 500 Canada geese, mallards, and 2 bald eagles.  In E Mahoning Co. yesterday I had totals of about 20 Am. tree sparrows and 70 dark-eyed juncos.  An ad. sharp-shinned hawk is still a daily visitor in my backyard, hunting feeder birds.  Craig Holt, Lowellville