OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
John Blakeman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Blakeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 21:09:57 -0500
Actually, the Bald Eagle is not bald. Yes, in the 18th century the word "bald" could mean white-headed. But that's not the meaning today. "Bald Eagle" is a most unfortunate anachronism, one that the American (not Bald) Ornithological Union should address. Succinctly, the bird's common name should be officially changed to "American Eagle." That works in every way, especially geographically.

We no longer call American Kestrels "Sparrow Hawks." They are now named for what they properly are, American Kestrels. Numerous other nomenclatural errors have been similarly corrected.

Such should be the case with the "Bald" Eagle. Let it be named quite properly, the American Eagle, as it's the only eagle native uniquely to North America.

Sincerely,

John A. Blakeman
2412 Scheid Rd
Huron OH 44839