OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2010

From:
Robert setzer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert setzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2010 15:31:56 -0800
Lacking seeing any responses yet, I offer the following.

Becky -

Lacking seeing any responses yet, I offer the following.

I am guessing the RBWP is  an adult.

First I note I know nothing about bird rehab (!), but think logically. I know
they eat "woodpecker stuff", so I first thought about peanut butter. Then
thought if might be better if natural peanut butter, rather than the sugar added
type. But then if an adult, why not try suet? Or even just seeds? The wing might
be broken, but I'll bet the WP head and appetite may work just fine.

I think pipettes are for younger birds maybe.

You might try having a dish of seeds or suet available in the box, but also try
administering peanut butter or suet on the tip of a chopstick (or something) as
another option to get it in front of the bird.

And for liquids, maybe also a very shallow dish of water.

Again - I know nothing about bird rehab, but did a chopstick feeding thing many
years ago that worked successfully with a young Mockingbird that thought it was
its mother's beak. I note that the chopsticks were Korean (i.e., pointed) type.

I am not too sure how long it takes a bird to recover from shock, but generally
it seems to be 15 to 30 mins from our deck experience (but that is without being
broken...).

Be sure the box is ventilated!

"Dr. Bob"

I would appreciate hearing what others offer as suggestions on this, please.