ZOO408A Archives

January 2011

ZOO408A@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Busam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:46:49 -0500
Say what you will about the author of that article, but the tinfoil
helmet I constructed based on plans I ordered from his website has
protected me pretty well from the gamma-brain-wave-modulator rays that
the government beams out of Millett Hall.

But, really, had that bit of writing been turned into me when I was
teaching freshman composition, I would have written "see me" on the
last page. That's some whacked up and jumbled thinking in that piece.
It's an art form, of sorts, to write something like that and make it
seem like it's been carefully and thoughtfully put together. People
with a scientific bent make really credible fiction writers--and
liars--because most of us "lay people" can't understand what they're
talking about to begin with. I suppose that's a useful thing to know
when sorting through the daily bulletins and theories that come at us
from different sources. Who to trust? And how far to trust them? There
is so much noise that clouds rational discussion--to mix a couple
metaphors. People turn to cynicism or irony to counter this, and that
works for a while, but it's temporary.

Probably the most plausible explanation for these bird kills will turn
out to be the least interesting!

Take care,
---Mike