OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:17:02 -0800
Yesterday I headed north to L. Erie.  Conneaut and Ashtabula were frozen up, so I decided to keep driving west to the Eastlake Power Plant in Lake Co.  A good-sized area of open water remains there, it held lots of waterfowl but gulls were disappointing.  Highlights were 500 Canada geese, mallards, 5 Am. black ducks, 60 canvasbacks, 35 redheads, 10 greater scaup, 200 lesser scaup, 15 buffleheads, 45 c. goldeneyes, 2 common mergansers, 10 red-breasted mergansers, great blue heron, ad. peregrine falcon (perched fairly close by on the ice), 2 Am. coots, 5 Bonaparte's gulls, hundreds of ring-billed gulls, only a few herring gulls, a first-cycle lesser black-backed gull, only a couple great black-backed gulls, and a n. mockingbird.  From there I went to E. 72nd St. in Cleveland.  It had only a rather small open-water area, some waterfowl but very few gulls.  Canada geese, 1 gadwall, mallards, Am. black duck, canvasbacks, redheads, 75 lesser scaup, and 2
 ruddy ducks were present.  A rough-legged hawk flew by, probably heading from Dike 14 to Burke Airport.  Away from the lakefront, I saw some good birds while traveling yesterday.  In Ashtabula Co. a dark rough-legged hawk was in Pierpont Twp., and a flock of 22 horned larks was in Monroe Twp.  At Pymatuning Res. there is a decent-sized open hole of water at the causeway which held 500 Canada geese, 55 mallards, 5 Am. black ducks, 2 canvasbacks, 4 redheads, 2 buffleheads, and a ruddy duck.  There's another open hole on the PA side of the causeway which had 14 c. goldeneyes.  Near the causeway in Ohio were a bald eagle and a red-shouldered hawk.  In Trumbull Co. an imm. Cooper's hawk was spotted in Vernon Twp.  In NE Mahoning Co. the last few days: purple finch on 1/12 and a common redpoll on 1/13 at my feeders; 3 red-shouldered hawks and Am. kestrel in Poland/Coitsville Twps.  Craig Holt, Lowellville