OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
MikeSmith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MikeSmith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 19:01:34 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: MikeSmith
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2011 6:55 PM
Subject: Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs, Lorain Co. 1/15

Today at 3:45pm on West Road, just south of Route 303, there were snow buntings and lapland longspurs mixed in with a good number of horned larks. The birds were on the west side of the road, in the field with the standing cornstalks and pumpkins sticking up out of the snow.

This location is about a half mile north of Caley Reservation, one of the Lorain County Metro Parks. I made this observation on the drive home, after attending Lorain County Metro Parks annual "Outstandinding Speaker Series" co-sponsored with Black River Audubon Society. This years speaker was renowned ornithologist Stephen Kress, his talk, on his amazing accomplishments restoring endangered seabirds was truly outstanding.

Mike Smith
Wellington Ohio
Lorain County