OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:33:52 -0500
I was at Eastlake power plant today from noon to 2pm. There were
thousands of ducks including many canvasbacks, lesser scaup,
redheads, common goldeneye, and dozens of bufflehead, mallard and
blacks. Only a few red-breasted and common mergs were seen. Of course
lots of Canada geese. Gulls were abundant including ring-billed,
herring, greater black-backed and Bonaparte's. One bald eagle flew by
and stirred things up once. No peregrine or special gulls were seen by me.

I was then at E. 72nd st from 2:30-3:30. There were a lot of gulls
there, which differed from reports from yesterday and earlier that
remarked on few gulls. Again there were many ring-billed and herring
and several greater black-backed. A very white glaucous gull was on
the ice. Another darker, more mottled "white" gull was on the ice
eating fish which John Pogacnik IDed on this listserve this evening
as a Nelson's (glaucous x herring hybrid) gull. Apparently several
people saw it there during the day. Ducks were fewer at 72nd st, but
there were four gadwalls and one shoveler along with a good number of
canvasbacks, lesser scaup, redheads, mallards and blacks.   Randy Rowe