OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 21:23:44 -0500
This evening (Tuesday January 18), John Sawvel, Kimberly Kaufman, and
I made a slow sweep of the Magee Marsh causeway in the early evening.
Between about 5:05 and 5:30 pm, we had repeated close views of at
least 2 Short-eared Owls (possibly 3, but never more than 2 at once).
The birds were foraging widely over the marsh on both sides of the
causeway, and ranging along almost its whole length from the north end
nearly to the south end, sometimes perching on posts right next to the
road.  There were also at least 4 Northern Harriers working over the
marsh, perhaps coming in to roost, although we lost track of their
locations after we began to focus on the owls.  With the heavy
overcast and misty conditions, the owls may have become active earlier
in the evening than they would have on a clear day.  We didn't find
the Northern Shrike that had been here earlier in the season, although
we might have been there too late in the day to see it.

At the Black Swamp Bird Observatory, a single Common Redpoll was
coming to the feeders between 4 and 5 pm today.  The feeders are also
hosting large numbers of White-throated Sparrows and American Tree
Sparrows, and at least one Fox Sparrow is still present (two were here
last week).  At this season, the observatory is open to the public on
Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 11 to 5.

For those who don't know the region, Magee Marsh Wildlife Area is
located just north of State Route 2 between Toledo and Port Clinton in
n.w. Ohio.  The Black Swamp Bird Observatory is located just north of
SR 2 at the entrance to Magee Marsh.  A map of the area is available
at this link:
http://www.bsbo.org/birding/pdf/Magee_Marsh_Map.pdf
If you visit the area, please let us know if you see the Short-eared
Owls or other local specialties.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio