OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:59:40 -0500
There have been a few posts about the Yellow-headed Blackbird near Apple
Creek and geese at Prairie Lane south of Wooster.  I visited both areas on
Monday Jan. 17.

I followed a flock of blackbirds northeast from the corner of Secrest and
Apple Creek Roads.  I located the massive flock along Kansas Road feeding in
the fields.  I spent almost two hours following and watching this flock and
did not see the Yellow-headed Blackbird.  I eventually gave up and drove
straight back to the corner of Secrest and Apple Creek Roads.  There I found
another massive flock feeding along Apple Creek Rd.  There was a lot of
traffic and I couldn't stop.  I made two passes without seeing the
yellow-headed.  On the third pass the entire flock picked up and moved
west.  I lost track of them after that.  For birders chasing this bird:
there may be multiple flocks of blackbirds in the area.  If you don't see
the yellow-headed in the flock that you're looking at, it may be in another
flock.

I then went to the quarry on Prairie Lane.  I checked in at the office.  It
was 3:30pm.  The dude working there informed me that they close at 3pm and
that they weren't keen on birders showing up after they are closed.  He told
me that I could look briefly.  I only stayed long enough to spot the two
Ross's Geese and then I vacated the premises.  I just thought I'd pass this
along for those of you planning a trip there.  We don't want to wear out our
welcome.

Scott Albaugh
Knox County