OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2011 18:27:58 -0500
Fellow bird counters,

     So far this year, I managed only 21 species of birds on the SNOWY DAY
BIRDING CONTEST.  I thought things would go better when I was awakened this
morning by several Barred Owls calling.  I had 14 by lunch, including two
Brown Creepers, and two Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers. A Sharp-shinned Hawk
buzzed the feeder about 3:00 PM, and that helped.  Then I spotted several
Yellow-rumped warblers shortly after that, and finally, the bird of the day,
an EASTERN PHOEBE.  This bird has been around all winter, but I only see it
every three or four days.  Today was, fortunately, one of those days.  Would
be interested in anyones opinion on why this bird is still here and what it
is feeding on.  It is possible that this bird was hatched from the nest that
it often roosts on.  It has a quite a yellow wash. and appears healthy.

     As always, thanks to Sue for making this cold, cold day a little more
interesting

joe in the woods
Somerset, Ohio
Perry County