OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:35:35 -0500
I  had 26 species at Dawes Arboretum this morning (Sat. 1/22).  Besides the common feeder birds, there were:

pine siskins - several, counted 9 at one time
red-breasted nuthatch
fox sparrow - one
white-crowned sparrows - 1 adult, one juvenile
white-throated sparrows - at least 5, possibly more
American tree sparrows - at last 7
eastern towhee - a male calling - he thought sun meant spring, I guess

I took a quick trip up to the Croton area, where in the past I've had some good wintering birds.  All I found today were large numbers of horned larks.  I saw two American kestrels on the trip, one on Route 657 and one on Lock Road.  Also saw two turkey vultures, one over Route 657 south of Chatham, and one north of the 657-Rt 62 intersection.

I stopped by a private farm that overlooks a gravel pit near St. Louisville.  The pit was nearly completely frozen over, and exactly 50 mallards were swimming in what little open water was remaining.  I tried to count the Canadas, but they were moving too much.  My estimate is between 250 and 300.  The main reason I try an actual count is to force myself to look at every individual goose.  I'm reasonably sure there were no unusual geese there.  I have found an occasional snow goose there, but not today.  Last week I saw a dead mallard on the ice there, and what I believe was a northern harrier eating at it.  I think harrier because of the very long tail (with dark bands), and long wings.  It was large - but clearly not a red-tailed, too large to be either accipiter, and I thought I could rule out red-shouldered.  I never saw the "hawk" in flight or from the rear, but watched it several minutes. Today, there was little remaining of that mallard, and three crows were cleaning up what was left.

A beautiful day to be out, if cold.

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH