OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Larry DeAtley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry DeAtley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2011 16:09:06 -0500
Brian and I spent the morning checking out local spots to chase down some
birds.  Here is our list from the day with a few good finds:

At Greenlawn Cemetery we found many Juncos beneath the feeders at the pit
along with the usual suspects including starlings, downy, cardinal, blue
jay, chickadee, white-breasted nuthatch.  The notables were a pair of
eastern bluebirds high a top the trees near the pit, a red-breasted nuthatch
and we got a quick peek of the great horned owl.  There were also a few
robins and crows and a good look at a flicker as we were leaving.

The next stop was the Greenlawn Dam where there were plenty of Canada geese,
mallards and several pairs of Hooded Merganser south of the Greenlawn
bridge.

We took the path over to Berliner Park and were greeted by a very friendly
hermit thrush right where the lower path meets the upper path.  Flitting
around it were several Carolina wrens.  A quick walk down the path brought a
red-bellied woodpecker, blue jay, chickadee, and several robins.  On the way
back to the car we came across a brown creeper and further up in the tree
moving quickly was a splendid golden-crowned kinglet.  The sunlight hit him
just right to see the orange tinted cap atop his head.

We made a quick stop at the Drake Union on the OSU campus to find 5
black-crowned night herons (2 adult and 3 juveniles).

Finally we drove through waterman farm, hoping for snow buntings, and
leaving only with one kestrel and a lonely song sparrow.

Happy Birding!

Larry DeAtley

Orient, OH