OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Rita Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2011 21:26:08 -0500
Northern Harriers and Short–eared owls appear to be roosting again this year
east of the Magee Marsh WA causeway (Ottawa County).

Seen tonight were at least 8 Northern harriers, including 2 “Gray Ghost”
males floating over the area before dropping out of sight into the
vegetation. Wasn’t the larger groups seen a couple of years ago but if the
food sources and conditions stay favorable, perhaps more will join them!

After the harriers settled in, two Short-eared owls emerged. Had some very
nice looks, including a soft swoosh past my open car window.

Also seen today:
- 2 light morph Rough-legged hawks working the fields along Veler Rd (off
Rt. 2, at the west end of Ottawa NWR).
- 60 Tundra swans at Metzger Marsh WA (west of Ottawa on Rt 2 in Lucas
County)  2 adult Bald eagles sat on the ice nearby.

- 25 Great Blue Herons huddled around the island at the East Harbor Marina
(north Of East Harbor State Park in Marblehead, Ottawa County).

Cheers and Good 2011 Birding!

Rita Schneider
Cuyahoga County