OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gentleben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:54:34 -0500
Went birding today around Columbus with a couple of friends. Started our late day at Greenlawn Cemetery around noon. The "quarry pit" was birdy at the feeders with Red-breasted Nuthatches, Hairy Woodpecker, White-throated Sparrows, Northern Flicker, etc. Seems like possible bad news on the Great Horned Owl nest. When standing in the road to look at the nest site, not seeing any owl, a couple of birders came over with a report they'd seen both owls in a pine to the east and had gotten a photo they showed me. Also they mentioned that a few days ago someone had been at the nest with a ladder? What the ..? The whole time we were there (cruised around for a couple hours) there was no owl on the nest. Not good at all. On a plus side we got three views of a Merlin there, first on its favorite perch to the south west of the owl spot (near the south center). Then the Merlin flew in closer and perched on a tall spruce. Next we saw it lower in another tree further west. Each time it showed us the classic Merlinesque indifference to our presence. Such a cool falcon. Also around the cemetery we saw 3 different Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and a Northern Mockingbird.
Then Later north of Schrock rd. in Westerville (not too far from Sharon Woods M.P.) we refound the previously reported red phase E. Screech Owl (Rob Thorn). Very fun to see these little guys. To get there: You can park at the Westerville Skate Park (part of Alum Creek Park South on the County map) which is along Parkmeadow Rd north of Shrock Rd.  Park at the lot there, walk the trail to the west towards the creek treeline, where it joins the Alum Creek Trail/Multi-use-trail. Walk the ACT north about 1/4 mile to reach the footbridge, and old truss bridge recycled from a railroad crossing elsewhere.  The bird hides in the upper/top north (upstream) beam; search patiently, as it can hide back in the metal space.  Sometimes it hides behind a plate, or as today it sits on top of the plate.
Good Birding,
Ben Warner