OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:18:53 -0500
Hi all,

I headed down to the disc golf course parking area (map at
http://goo.gl/QHq1W ) from 5:15-6:00pm this evening to see if I could
relocate some Cackling Geese to photograph, and was fortunate enough
to find a few cooperative birds.  Overall waterfowl numbers were down
from yesterday evening, but a small group of cacklers were visible
before I even stepped out of the car!

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396965324
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396965372
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396367091
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396367179
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396965694

There was also a lone 5th individual that appeared later (last photo)
which looks good for Cackling Goose:

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396367291

Anyone interested in brushing up their Cackling Goose ID skills might
check out the following resources:
  http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/CACG_CANG.html
  http://www.utahbirds.org/RecCom/IDhelp/Cackling_Goose-NAB.pdf

After getting my fill of Cackling Goose pics, I was flipping through
photos on my camera and heard something big land along the river. I
looked up to see 3 Trumpeter Swans out my window: two adults with neck
collars (both have been reported to the USGS bird banding lab) and one
unmarked immature.

  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396367359/
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396367391/
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396367423/
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396367453/
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396965972/
  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/5396966100/

Later, more Canadas flew in and the swans had moved up the shore, so I
decided to walk down to the water's edge to look farther up and
downstream.  Almost immediately, the family of Trumpeters headed
strait towards me from a few dozen yards upstream acting as though I
was going to feed them or something. They lingered a few feet off
shore in front of me for short while long (often plunging their heads
to the bottom of the river, presumably feeding) until I left around
6pm.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado