OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Sherrie Duris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2011 17:49:14 -0700
Tom Kemp led a Winter Gulls & Ducks Field Trip for the
Birders-

Tom Kemp led a Winter Gulls & Ducks Field Trip for the Toledo Naturalists' Association this morning in the western basin of Lake Erie along the lakeshore of Maumee Bay in Lucas County.  Fourteen birders met at 8:30 a.m. at the public access near the Bayshore Edison plant on Bayshore Road.  The open water from the warm water outflow extends north about a half mile before the ice shelf and stretches east towards the northwest corner of Maumee Bay State Park.   Not a lot of open water, but enough to attract a large concentration of waterfowl.

No other gull species were seen today besides Herring and Ring-billed surprisingly, but there were plenty of ducks.   Fifteen duck species were tallied in the open water including a female Long-tailed Duck & a female Surf Scoter near the northwest corner of Maumee Bay State Park.  Everyone in our group was able to get great looks at the birds.  25+ Black-crowned Night Herons remain on the west side of the bridge near the warm water outflow of the Bayshore Edison Plant.  A Northern Mockingbird has been hanging out along that path for the last few weeks.

Some other good Toledo sightings this last week include Common Redpolls & Pine Siskins that are mixed in with the Goldfinches

that are frequenting the Sweet Gum Trees at Woodlawn Cemetery.  A Merlin

 remains at Calvary Cemetery off Dorr St. and a second bird has been

seen at Woodlawn as well.  Secor Metropark has had an Oregon Junco this

last week and Tom Kemp reported a Golden Eagle in Wood County last weekend.

The Toledo Naturalists' Association (TNA) leads plenty of field trips throughout the year on all aspects of nature.  The field trips are free and open to anyone interested in attending.  They are lots of fun!  If you live near or are visiting the Toledo area, be sure to check out our list of field trips and monthly nature programs on the TNA website.  I add new trips throughout the year.  www.toledonaturalist.org.

Cheers!

Sherrie Duris

Field Trip Coordinator

 The Toledo Naturalists' Association