OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:02:48 -0800
Castalia pond - no
Highlights from this morning and early afternoon...

Castalia pond - not a lot of variety:  Canada geese, mallards, a few each
gadwall, shovelers, American wigeon.

Pickerel Creek (the western edge on Pearson Rd.) - Lots of small birds and
woodpeckers in the woodlot by the marsh - my screech owl imitation brought them
in.  A flicker along Pearson near US 6.

Sheldon's Marsh - two Carolina wrens were the best of the common woodsy birds.

Huron - while I watched from the new boat launch parking lot, a peregrine took a
rock pigeon off a utility wire, perched with it for a couple of  minutes on the
old ConAgra tower, then made a mid-air exchange to (presumably) his mate over
the adjacent rail yard.  She flew off to the east and he returned to ConAgra.

Wellington Upground Reservoir - about 400 Canada geese, 50 mallards, and a
single coot visible in and along a small slit of water well north of the boat
launch.  Most of the geese were hunkered down so the Sunday-reported greater
white-fronted might have been hiding in the crowd.

Caley - eerily birdless - a sprinkling of chickadees, one each titmouse,
red-breasted nuthatch, white-breasted nuthatch, cardinal, and blue jay.

Craig Caldwell
Westlake