OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marys1000 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 17:39:18 -0500
Last year I went to northern Alabama on a short work trip.  I googled around for birding opportunities and was delighted to find the Northern Alabama Birding Trail Guide - full color, great maps, probably 30 pages, directions, good descriptions of habitat and probable birds, just nicely done and organized.  It really allowed me to figure out which sites to tgt due to season and get to and from them to another one fast. There were a couple of times, as always in a strange place, where I was having trouble finding the spot.  At some point I finally noticed that all sites had coordinates listed.
EUREKA!
At that time, and gradually just all the time, their lat long coordinates were invaluable.
Feed them into a GPS and off you go.  Wonderful!
I know not everyone has GPS. Mine is a low end plug in car version.  But good enough to get parking location coords off if I see a good bird somewhere and want to report it.
I think it would be great if in addition to general/specifc location description, time of day (often forgotten) that if GPS coordinates could be given that might help a lot of people out who go looking for a reported bird and arent familiar with "the end of the boat ramp at ChaChaCha resevoir".

Cheers!

Mary, Fairborn