OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:13:57 -0500
The northern shrike that showed up in my back fields two days ago was
still here today.
It's been very interesting watching him.  A bird with a very white
breast, with no barring
that I can see, so I've spent a lot of time in books and on the
internet trying to convert
him into a loggerhead.  Oh well, winter fantasies.

Two evenings I watched as he dove into his roosting spot in the thick
clumps of buckthorn,
right at 5 o'clock.  Today, around 1:00 I found him hunting again, and
saw him bring a vole
to an apple and attach him to a branch.  He came back twice to feed
on it, and then disappeared.

I didn't see him roost tonight. Perhaps I've disturbed the area too
much chasing him around.
While I was waiting for Dick to come by to look at the bird, I also
saw a rough legged hawk
(dark phase) settle onto a perch in a stand of trees nearby.  The n.
shrike didn't make an
appearance while Dick was here and the best I could offer was the vole
and my blurry
photos.

Inga Schmidt
Chagrin River Road at the Geauga/Cuy County Line