OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Ken Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:48:25 -0500
I stopped briefly after work this afternoon to check for waterfowl on the
open water of the Scioto River at Dublin Kiwanis River Park.  They have made
a significant effort to remove honeysuckle from the park entrance so it
looks very different before reaching the boardwalk.

The water was dominated by large numbers of Canada Geese and Mallards.
Other species present included American Black Duck, Common Goldeneye, and
Hooded Mergansers and a single Pied-bill Grebe but otherwise, not much
variety.  It was rather late for land birds but I did find a single Swamp
Sparrow with the many White-throated Sparrows.

On the way up the river from downtown Columbus, I stopped at the Rivers Edge
Corporate Center (1335 Dublin Road Columbus) and found a male and female
Wood Duck on the river along the bike trail.  Otherwise, the same duck
species as Kiwanis were present here including a single Pied-bill Grebe.

Directions for Kiwanis can be found at the following link:
http://parks.columbus.gov/Facility.aspx?id=34675

Happy January birding,

Ken Davis

Westerville, OH