OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Jason Cade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason Cade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 14:20:53 -0500
First I saw the previously reported 2 LONG-TAILED DUCKS fairly close in off
the Harveysburg Rd ramp. Lots of Mallards, a few Black Ducks, & 1 Horned
Grebe also observed here. Then I noticed a dark-mantled gull sitting out in
the middle of the lake. Upon inspection I found it to be a LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL. I observed it for a good 10 mins before it took up & flew
to the far side of the lake to join a group of Ring-billed & Herring Gulls
standing on ice bordering the water. Even from this distance I could pick
out the darker-mantled bird. Next I checked the Youth Pond & Swimming Beach.
There was a group of Tree Sparrows, 2 Yellow-rumped Warblers, & a male
Purple Finch by the Youth Pond & a PINE SISKIN sitting with some Robins up
in the top of a tree by the Beach. Finally I checked the North Boat Ramp &
upon arrival found a MERLIN perched in a tree right by the ramp which then
flew across the lake. Also found 1 Ruddy Duck, about 60 American Coot, & 6
BLACK SCOTERS (4 males & 2 females) out on the lake. Add a Belted Kingfisher
fishing the cove there & it was an excellent morning!