OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Matt Vosniak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Vosniak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 12:24:42 -0500
I was out running a couple errands and decided to take a detour past the
Lorain County Airport on the way home to check out the hawk scene as I
normally have good luck seeing birds perched on the fence posts
surrounding the airport.  Sitting on one of the posts in the section of
fence that sits farthest way from the road on Russia Road was a dark
phased Rough-legged Hawk.  I pulled into the little driveway near there
and watched the hawk for a minute before it flew off back over the airport
and landed in one of the fields surrounding the runways.  If anyone is out
driving that way keep your eyes open.  I was bummed last year when I
didn't see any rough-legs out that way so maybe this fella will hang
around this winter.  There also was one female kestrel on a powerline
along Oberlin Road.

Matt