OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Sherri Hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherri Hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2011 04:38:48 -0500
I live near Glendale cemetery almost downtown Akron.  For about the last 5 years I have been watching this same flock of crows fly over my neighborhood every evening in the winter months starting about 5pm.  I too was overcome by curiosity as to where the overnight roost was located.  I found the roost near the Akron Zoo.  5 years ago there were about 300.  I have noticed the flock has grown considerably this year.

I work at Akron General Hospital.  I arrived to work one night about 7pm (8 or 9 years ago) and saw a small flock in the trees behind the laundry building.  Maybe 200 crows back then.

So if this is all the same flock then they are making great headway in their numbers after the West Nile Virus thing a few years ago.

From my kitchen window last spring, I watched a pair build their nest, mate and have 2 young in the top of a very tall pine tree.  I like to think they are part of this large group that roost near the Zoo in the winter.

I wonder if they spend their day in the corn fields in the Cuyahoga Valley as they seem to come from that direction about 5pm.

Sherri Hamm
Downtown Akron