OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2011 11:35:17 -0500
Hello everyone,

Rick Asamoto, Shane Egleston and myself birded along the Great Miami
River yesterday from Miamisburg to just above the Stewart St bridge in
Dayton. We also stopped by the West Carrolton gravel pit on
Farmersville-West Carrolton Rd and Woodland Cemetery next to UD.

We saw the following species:

Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Gadwall
Mallard
Black Duck
Pintail
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck,
Common Goldeneye
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer (along river bank at Sun Watch Village)
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Horned Lark
Carolina Wren
Robin
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Starling
Mockingbird
Song Sparrow
Juncos
Cardinal
Goldfinch
House Sparrow

At the gravel pit 6 swans flew across the road just as we pulled up so
we could not get definitive looks but we believe they were trumpeters (2
adults and 4 immatures). The wind had picked up by the time we got to
the cemetery and it was pretty quite so we did find the Red-breasted
Nuthatches that Dave had reported earlier in the week.

Good Birding,

John Habig
261 Lantis Dr.
Carlisle, Ohio 45005