OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 19:40:03 -0500
A few more ducks today and a drop in gull numbers.  A POMARINE JAEGER spent
about a half hour harassing gulls out on the lake northeast of my house.  It
would chase a bit then disappear, and then reappear to chase a bit more.
I'm guessing when it was not being seen it was sitting out on the lake.  The
lake had a bit of a chop making it hard to see sitting birds.  Other birds
of note were 2 long-tailed ducks, a male and female, and a glaucous gull.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
January 2, 2010, 730-1000
Weather-  cloudy to partly cloudy
Winds- SW 10-15 to W 10-15 Temp- 27 F
Barometer- 30.14-30.16
Humidity-67, Dew point- 18-17
Waves- 3-5 to 4-6 feet, Flight direction- west

LONG-TAILED DUCK   2
Common goldeneye  65
Common merganser   12
Red-breasted merganser   29