OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 19:50:58 -0500
I decided to check out some areas along the lakefront from East 72nd to
Fairport Harbor.

East 72nd had a lot of ice that had blown in so few gulls with nothing of
note.  The male long-tailed duck was observed just east of the East 55th
Marina.  I also found Canada goose, gadwall, American wigeon, American black
duck, mallard, redhead, canvasback, greater scaup, lesser scaup, common
goldeneye, red-breasted merganser, pied-billed grebe, double-crested
cormorant, and peregrine falcon.  There was a rough-legged hawk over Dike
14.

At Eastlake only red-breasted mergansers and a few gulls.

At Fairport Harbor there were some Bonaparte's gulls flying east of the
lighthouse.  There was an adult LITTLE GULL with them.  Other birds of note
were Canada goose, mallard, greater scaup, lesser scaup, common goldeneye,
bufflehead, hooded merganser, and red-breasted merganser.

I found no large concentrations of ducks or gulls.  Most areas were either
open or had limited ice cover.

John Pogacnik