OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:48:26 -0800
Some highlights from Monday going from Cuyahoga Valley National Park north to the frozen shores of Lake Erie.

CVNP - various stops:

RED-SHOULDERED HAWK - 1 along Quick Rd. and 1 at the maintenance yard along Riverview Rd.
PURPLE FINCH - a male & female along Oak Hill Rd. near the Oak Hill Trailhead entrance driveway.
PEREGRINE FALCON - male was perched in a tree on the northwest corner at the Ohio Turnpike bridge at Riverview Rd. Also a male and female bird perched on separate billboards at the I-480 bridge in Valley View.
PIED-BILLED GREBE - 1 in the Cuyahoga River along Riverview Rd. east of the Columbia Run picnic area.

CLEVELAND LAKEFRONT STATE PARK:

AMERICAN KESTREL - 1 bird perched along I-90.
NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL - 1 bird roosting in pines near visitor center parking lot.

DIKE 14:

PEREGRINE FALCON - 1 male bird perched on the western corner of Dike 14.

E. 72ND. St./LAKE ERIE:

GADWALL - 5 birds at the warm water outflow that flew upon our arrival.
CANVASBACK, REDHEAD, BUFFLEHEAD, SCAUP, MALLARD, AM. BLACK DUCK & the male LONG-TAILED DUCK all gathered at the end of the breakwall in an open slip of water.
GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL - 1 bird mixed in with Ring-billed Gulls & Herring Gulls just before the breakwall. Gulls were few and no white-winged gulls were seen.
COOPER's HAWK - 1 juv. female chasing pigeons.
PINE SISKIN - a flock of 19 birds flew over, heading west and landed in a barren tree on the inside breakwall before flying on, continuing west.

EASTLAKE POWERPLANT:

MALLARD, AM. BLACK DUCK, LESSER SCAUP, BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, CANVASBACK, REDHEAD, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER in decent numbers. 1 RUDDY DUCK, 2 COMMON MERGANSER (m,f) and 1 female WHITE-WINGED SCOTER.
BALD EAGLE - 2 adult birds.
PEREGRINE FALCON - 1 male bird that was eating something out on the ice, then flew west towards the powerplant.
GREAT BLUE HERON - 1

WHISKEY ISLAND:

DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT - 3 on the breakwall.
MALLARDS and even fewer gulls than at E. 72nd. St.

Douglas W. Vogus & Michelle Zager - Akron, Ohio.