OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:13:47 -0500
Hi Steve-

The finch in the photo is a male House Finch. the streaking on the
underparts and along the sides, plus the limited raspberry red blush
on the head and tail, the short stout bill, and the overall brownish
appearance are clear. Male Purple Finches are REALLY red- almost
pinkish red- allover. Male Purples have virtually no streaking on the
underparts because they're just rosy red from top to bottom. Purples
are larger than House Finches, typically appear crested, and have a
larger, more pointed bill. Some male House Finches can appear pretty
red, bu never come close to the wholesomely pinkred male Purple!

Thanks for sharing
Cheers!
Jen

Sent from my iPod