OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2011

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:59:18 -0800
I work in an office park that has seven buildings up a short dead-end street (Galaxy Pkwy) north off Miles Rd & just west of Richmond Rd in Warrensville Hts.  A ramp to 422 runs west to east behind this area.  There are woods west of the street and some trees east of the bldgs.  I was walking on my lunch near the end of my walk and I haven't been seeing much of anything except where someone in an office puts feed out for the birds.  So as I near the end of my walk at the east end of our bldg I stop and listen for a few birds calls, Tree Sparrow and Goldfinch.  Then I look up and 100 feet away I see 10 small birds in the top of a tree which seemed unusual as I haven't been seeing 10 of anything around there except House Sparrows.  They then flew to some deciduous trees further to the south intermingled with some type of conifers.  I had to go get the binoculars from the car and saw they looked like Redpolls as they were grayish with rosy colors on them,
 very small and hanging upside down like chickadees.  I was able to get the scope out and confirm my sighting of approx. 10 COMMON REDPOLLS and there were also a few Goldfinch with them.  This was around 1pm today.  The trees are northwest of the Get Go car wash or behind the Quick Change Oil place.  My camera was at home.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
Cuyahoga Cty