OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 10:38:18 -0500
Well not to jump on the TV bandwagon, but they have started arriving at
their roosting spot at East Liberty.  They like to roost behind the
Honda Plant in some old dead trees that are partially secluded from the
road...eventually their numbers will increase to the point that they
will roost on every thing that looks like a tree back there; light
posts, fence posts etc.  Last year there were so many of them, that they
became a hazard to the people driving back there, one will take off and
dive to gain momentum then swoop up into the air...right in front of a
passing car...yipes!

I beg the indulgence of the group here, but I'm looking at getting a
bath for the birds that come to my yard, and wonder if there is a
preference as to which type is best (hanging vs pedestal.)  And what is
the best height for hanging one.  I have an old shepherds hook, (my old
feeder hook that I really don't want to try again to pull out of the
ground...I tried and it decided that it wasn't ready to come out yet
;-D) that would get a hanging one about 2 or 3 feet above the ground,
but is that the right height for one, or would a pedestal one be better
for stability reasons?  It seems to me that a hanging one would tend to
tip and sway if more than a bird or two get on it.  also how far away
should it be from the feeder?

Thanks a bunch, I'll see you out there, and God Bless.

Steve J.
(aka sjlarue)
"Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into
barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more
value than they?" -Matthew 6:26 (ESV)